Tuesday 5 May 2020

Day 38 - Spider-man scene - waist movements

What I did today:
Today I started animating the actual body itself and I started with the waist. The reason why I started with the waist movements is that it is the center of gravity for the model so I can start by animating from the center and then moving outwards to the other parts of the body.












I first started by selecting the rig of the model and then going to the 'Context Data' tab on the right where the layers for the rig are. I then chose the layers that I wanted for the starting animations where the layers that controlled the large general body parts. The layers are not labeled so I had to figure it out by turning them on and off and seeing which layer controlled which part of the body.
This is what my rig looked like after I chose the layers I wanted. The reason why I hid some layers is so that the rig isn't as cluttered and is easier to work with. I did not know about this before so it was a nice feature to learn about.
I started by rotating the hips forward at the start of the scene due to the motion he would be in when swinging with his legs in front of him as he is moving forward and up to give himself more inertia to go higher. I also split my screen with one side having a pre-render look and the overlays turned off. I did this to show me what it would most likely look rendered.
When I was rotating the waist  I needed it to go forward and not have any side motions so to do this I rotated the waist along the x-axis but normally to do this I would press 'R+X' but what this does is rotate what I've selected along the world x-axis, but I needed the waist bone to rotate along its own x-axis. To do this I pressed 'R+X+X' and by doing this the x-axis I've selected to rotate switches from the world x-axis to the individual bone x-axis.
For the next motion, I rotated the waist forward even more because at this point of the animation the model would have the most animation and would be at the near peak of the curve in the path I made
Then for when the model is falling back towards the ground I got rid of the rotation and put it back to its original set position. To do this I pressed 'ALT+R' which reset the rotation to its original point.
Then as he is freefalling straight downwards I arched his back a bit by rotating the waist backward a bit. I did this because at this point he would be getting ready to web the two buildings to his side to keep swinging and would be looking up, and so if he is looking up in this position he would have to arch his back and move his waist in a way that his back would curve so that he could easily lookup.
Then because when he is coming back up he would want to regain his inertia I moved his waist forward again.
And then I arched him back again because at the start of his backflip he would just let the motion carry his movements and wouldn't do much except move his legs back which would naturally arch his back.
And then for the last keyframe, I moved the waist forward again because of the motion around the corner of the building.

What I learned:
Today I learned about the layers of the rig in the context data tab. Learning about this is really helpful for future projects because it can help me pay attention to what part of the rig I'm working with and lessens the clutter of most rigs.

What I'm doing tomorrow:
Tomorrow I'm going to work on animating the chest and which way the model is leaning in different parts of the animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment