Friday 6 March 2020

Day 24 - Up position and more hip movements

What I did today:
Today I added the keyframe for the high point in the walk as well as worked on the hip movements while the character is walking which I learned to do by following the tutorial I have been watching.

For the up position, I first started by looking at the point the torso was at on frame 13 which I used as a reference. I knew that the high point in the walk needs to be just slightly above this point.
Then on frame 10, I moved the torso up just a bit more then it is on frame 13, I tested going higher than this but this height seemed the most fitting to the animation.

I then copied the pose on frame 10 of the high point and copied it onto frame 22 which is the high point for when the other leg is in the front of the body.

Next, I opened the graph editor and selected the pelvic muscle which controls the hips, for the hips, I am only focusing on the z-axis rotation which controls the sway of the legs and the y-axis rotation which controls how the legs turn when walking.
On the side of the graph editor, there is a small arrow, by dragging the arrow you get a f-curve tab.
Then on the new side panel, I clicked on the modifiers tab.
I then pressed the 'add modifier' and added a cycles modifier. What this does is that it repeats the movements of the hip threw out the graph which leads to a better loop. I did this first to the z-axis rotation curve.
For the y-axis rotation, I did the same thing but I then selected all of the keyframes in that curve and pressed 'G' and then 3 which moved all the keyframes for that rotation over by 3. I did this so that the down point in the weight of the legs corresponds to the body's down position in the walk cycle.


This is the animation so far, right now it is slow just due to the size of the character which slows down my frame rate.

What I'm doing on Monday:
On Monday I am working on the foot passing points, so when the foot is passing to do the next step in the walk. I will be adding more movement and adding more realism to the movement of those passing points.


No comments:

Post a Comment