Wednesday 29 April 2020

Day 36 - Spider-man scene - setting up buildings for environment

What I did today:
Today I started on the big Spider-man scene I'm doing for my next project. Before I do any animation for the scene I have to set up the environment I'm going to have for it because unlike the other scene where a static setting was ok to do, for this project it is a full dynamic scene so I need to set up a good environment.
I first started by creating a new blend, and then importing in the building assets I downloaded from the youtube tutorial. I then started to arrange them how I wanted it to be in the scene following the tutorial.
This was the end result and layout I made. It's a long street with two intersections with the middle intersection hopefully being close to the middle point of the animation and the second intersection being where the animation ends. To get multiple buildings I selected the building I wanted to have more of and then pressed Shift+D to duplicate it. There is a variety of different size buildings in the original assets that I imported, but for the scene I wanted more variety and so when I would duplicate some of the buildings I would edit them to make them larger or smaller.
When making changes to the buildings I would first raise the roof part of it because the building models I downloaded all have separate roofs for the reason of editing the height of the buildings. I would raise the roof by just pressing 'G' and then while pressing 'G' I would press 'Z' so that it would stay on the z-axis and not shift from the center of the building.
After getting the roof out of the way I would press 'TAB' to go into Edit Mode which lets me edit anything for the model I am working with. When going into edit mode it shows all the vertices, faces, and edges on the model that I can use to shape the model however I want.

Then I wanted to select a portion of the building. To do this I first just box selected a small part of the model and then pressed 'CTRL+L' to select a segment of the building. I then either duplicated that segment to make it taller or deleted that segment to make it shorter. I then just placed the roof back on top of the building. I did this for each building that I wanted to change so that I could successfully make a variation in the buildings for the scene so that when the animation plays, the environment does not look identical to each other.
After doing this to most of the buildings, I just set up the layout I wanted.

What I'm doing tomorrow:
Tomorrow I'm going to import the Spider-man model and then also set up a path for the model to follow when it is moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment