Wednesday 19 February 2020

Day 14 - Facial expression - Smile

What I did today:
Yesterday I said I was going to move a better computer for the facial animation but I need to set up my computer again so I will move to that computer tomorrow. Today I finished the smiling expression and added more blinks for the next expression which will be a sad expression.

The model when I first loaded it up came with a small smile but I wanted to reset it to a neutral position so that's what I'm starting with. To move the smile to a neutral I moved the corners of the lips down by pressing "G". 
This is the neutral keyframe I added to frame 0. By adding this keyframe I can also duplicate it later for transitions between the expressions.
For the smile itself, I first started with the lower jaw which when we open our mouths is what moves for a smile but only slightly, so I only opened the jaw just a bit. I also put the keyframe on frame 50 because that is where the initial head spin is.
I then started on the smile itself, it took me a while to get the right position because of how tricky facial expressions are and the need to get it just right. I moved the edges of the lips into a smile form and then to make it seem like a very happy smile I moved the top lip up a bit and the bottom lip a bit down.

Next, I duplicated the keyframes one frame 0 and moved the duplicates to frame 80 where the middle of the transition to the next expression will be.

I then felt the smile needed to be wider so I made it a bit bigger and then also duplicated the keyframes and moved them to continue onto frame 57 so that the smile would stay for a bit before transitioning. I also moved the transition to the neutral face to frame 85 to lengthen the smile a bit more as well.
Finally, I added more blinking keyframes and continued with the 20 frame intervals I did before and made some keyframes on frame 100-105 and frames 120-125.

Hopefully, by tomorrow, my computer will be set up and I will be able to run Blender on that for the facial animations so that the frame rate is smoother and I can get the timing better for the animation.

What I'm doing tomorrow:
Tomorrow I'll be working on the sad face and trying to get that perfect which may be a bit more difficult because of how more muscles are used for a frown then for a smile so it may take a bit more perfecting to get the frown right.



No comments:

Post a Comment