Wednesday 5 February 2020

Day 6 - Finger and hand animating

What I Did Today:
Today I worked on making the fingers turn into a fist when the arm goes palm-up position. All I did was make the keyframes so that the fingers would move, I didn't do anything in the graph editor.

The first thing I did was select the bones of the fingers, unfortunately, the arm model I downloaded didn't have the best rig for the hand so there is only one bone per finger instead of being segmented into three how a normal finger would be. The biggest problem this presents me is making the fingers turning into a fist look as real as possible when moving.

The next thing I did was fold the fingers inwards into the shape of a fist. 
The fingers now just need to be positioned better into a fist position which I do individually for each finger.
Next, I set the keyframes for the fingers.
Next, I repeated the steps I did with the fingers but with the knuckles and thumb.
I also made the palm come up a bit so it would make up for the poor rig and lack of proper finger articulation. I did all of these movements on frame 75 which is the pause I added when the arm is palm up.


So far the arm is looking good but the fist forms a bit too fast which I'll fix tomorrow and I already have an idea of how to do that.

What I'm Doing tomorrow:
Tomorrow I'm going to extend the time it takes for the fist to form so it looks a bit more natural, and I'm going to do this by increasing the number of frames it has to form. By doing this, it also means I'm going to have to increase the total number of frames again, meaning I'm also going to have to move half of the keyframes over to the left by 10-20 frames to create the long pause for the fist. I'm also going to add smaller animations to the fingers while the arm is moving to make the fingers look less stiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment