Tuesday 4 February 2020

Day 5 - Fine tuning large movements

What I did today:
Today I worked on fixing some speed issues in the arms movements and some problems where the arm was jittering and it didn't look good. I did most of the work in the graph editor as well as just moving the arm in a better position so there would be no problems.

This what the animation looks like, before any of the changes I made today, the jittering is mostly when the arm comes to the 90-degree angle the first time. The speed of the arm when it is coming back from the palm-up position is also a little too fast, I wanted there to be a slight pause so that there would be time for the fingers to flex.

I didn't explain it before, which I should've, but the keys to move something is the "G" key and to rotate it's "R". Also to move or rotate something on a specific axis you have to press "G" or "R" and the press either 'Y, X, or Z' which corresponds to either the y, x, or z-axis.

The first thing I did was I rotated the arm on the x-axis a little bit to fix the arm swaying a little when it was going downwards.

After that, I rotated the arm on the z-axis when it was straight with the palm up because the arm was a bit crooked. 
I did the same thing on the arm at frame 85 as I did on frame 50 where I just rotated the arm a little on the x-axis.

To increase the time the arm is in the palm up position I duplicated the keyframe and stretched it out on the graph editor to lengthen the delay. The only problem with this was that this lead to the arm jolting upright because now there weren't as many frames between the arm down and the arm coming back up. So to solve this I moved over the frame 85 keyframe to frame 95.
Moving up the keyframe on frame 95 made frames 100 and 110 faster so I slowed those down as well by moving them over by 10 frames and increasing the total frames to 145 and moving the ending keyframe to 145.

This is a photo of frame 95 and after messing around for a bit with the graph editor, I found the good way to create small delays or slow down an are was to press "S" to scale the keyframe down on the graph which in turn would lower the steepness of the curve on the graph which would slow down the movements a bit.


This is the best I feel I can do to make the big movements as good looking as possible, there are still some parts that look a bit robotic but once I animate the hand and wrist I feel like the arm will look more natural.

What I'm doing tomorrow:
Tomorrow I'm going to start with the fingers and the wrist animations. I'm going to have the fingers flex into a fist when the palm is face-up, and then also animate the wrist so that it moves around just like a normal wrist does when moved in the motion I'm doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment